Thursday 6 June 2013

Food Review: La Fiesta Cafecito



La Fiesta Cafecito
Unit M 730 St.Anne’s Rd

La Fiesta Cafecito on Urbanspoon


Updated November 2013

The first time I tried to go here I was told that there would be a 45 minute wait. That time I decided to eat at Diana’s Gourmet Pizzeria instead. The time I resolved wait and try the food. A relative of mine had recommended this place to me. She said that it was the best South American food in Winnipeg, if not in all of Manitoba. Even after eating here I am not qualified to decide, but I will say that it is the best South American food I've ever tried (having never been to South America).

The restaurant did a really good job of making a strip mall unit feel comfortable, which is no small achievement. The place is designed to feel like you are sitting on the street ordering drinks from an indoor bar. They also have a bathroom that feels like it belongs in someone’s home rather than a restaurant.
The same relative who told me to come here also warned me that if the host/server tells you that it will be a 45 minute wait you should expect it to take closer to an hour. The place is ALWAYS full. However, you can (and should) make a reservation. We were also warned that the service is incredibly slow. Therefore my Wife and I were not surprised when our food came a full two hours after we first arrived (an hour waiting, and an hour between ordering and getting the food).  In any other restaurant this would have ruined everything and I certainly wouldn't have left a generous tip.  But our server was amazingly friendly and kept us entertained whenever he walked by our table. I have never had a better server! The second time we went (a Tuesday evening) it was quiet and we had no problem getting a seat. The amazing server was not there but the staff were relaxed and the food was equally as good.

The food is unbeatable.
We ordered:
- Sangaria
- Chipotle Jalapeno Cheese Pupusa
- 2 Mojitos
- 2 Vegetarian Combination Platter #2 (salad, burrito, 2 pupusas, 1 enchilada)
- Vegetarian Combination Platter # 3 (salad, burrito, 1 pupusa, 2 tamal, 1 enchilada)

In my opinion the thing that makes the food exceptional is the care the people take in making it. They also make plain (unseasoned) beans taste wonderful. The pupusas and the tamal's are extraordinary and the enchilada’s made every other enchilada look pathetic. In contrast, the burrito and the salad seemed fairly standard. The mojitos were very good. The sangaria is not very sweet, which is a requirement for me.
All in all it was a wonderful time, the food was a good price, and I would recommend the place to anyone. However, I would also tell them that they need to make a reservation or they will spend the whole evening waiting for food.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment