Saturday 22 February 2014

Food Review: Deseo Bistro

Deseo Bistro
696 Osborne Street

Deseo Bistro on Urbanspoon

UPDATED: OCTOBER 2014

Walking into Deseo from from the cold of a Winnipeg winter is a pleasure. The restaurant is cozy without being crowded. Their services is extraordinary, their choice of art is interesting, and their willingness to accommodate vegetarians a real pleasure. Reserving a table online was convenient. I cannot say enough good things about this place. This is very clearly one of the best restaurants in the city.

We ordered:

Goat Cheese Cheese Cake (amazing)
Crisp Cauliflower
Black Truffel Gnocchi (amazing)
Crunch Salad (amazing)
Faro as Risotto

On my second we ordered:
Eggplant
Beet Salad
Chicken
Tagliatelle

The goat cheese cheese cake changed my wife’s life. The crunch salad very nearly changed mine. The rest of the food was fantastic but they were not as good as those dishes, but how could they have been? Then I tried the chicken. Man oh man that chicken is amazing! The battering, the hot sauce, and the exquisite juiciness of the meat was more than incredible. It may have been the best chicken I have ever eaten. The eggplant also stood out, it was perfectly cooked and very tasty. These dishes are everything I look for in professionally prepared food: well balanced flavors, rich but not heavy, perfectly portioned, nice to look at, and impossible to replicate in my home kitchen without many flops and tons of practice. Deseo charges exactly the price I would expect for food of the quality they offer. I also happen to know that they source their ingredients locally as often as possible. What more could you want? Bring a date, bring friends, bring anyone you can. This place is worth eating at.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment