Friday 30 August 2013

Food Review: The Sticky Wicket


The Sticky Wicket (The Strathcona Hotel)
919 Douglas Street, Victoria BC

The Sticky Wicket on Urbanspoon

I had the opportunity to spend four days in Victoria BC this week for a conference. As a result I found myself in downtown Victoria without a vehicle. This meant I had a reasonable amount of time on my hands to try the local cuisine but a limited area that I could get to. One of the first places I went was the sticky wicket, and I had trouble motivating myself to go anywhere else. The service was great and the atmosphere was even better. Winnipeg doesn’t really have the same dark wood pubs in historic buildings (with the exception of The Regal Beagle, perhaps). However, I would like to mention that it got quite loud later in the evening, so it isn't the place for quiet conversation.

 I ordered:
-          Yam Fries
-          Wild mushroom ravioli
-          Pacific cod fish & chips (I actually just sampled a bit of someone else’s)
-          Coleslaw (From someone else’s fish and chips)
All three dishes were exceptional and were perfectly priced for the portion size. The yam fries ranked among the best I've ever eaten. The coleslaw was well dressed and had baby lettuce in it, which helped prevent the slaw from being a chewing workout routine. The beer menu was also impressive, stocking a large proportion of the local brews.

If you are in the area you should go!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment