Wednesday 21 August 2013

Food Review: Buffalo Stone Café


Buffalo Stone Café
1961 McCreary Rd - FortWhyte

Buffalo Stone Cafe on Urbanspoon

My love of the outdoors is a part of me that doesn’t come through in these food reviews, but I assure you, it is there.  I was very fortunate to be able to combine the love of eating and the love of the outdoors on a recent outing to FortWhyte. The buffalo stone cafe specialized in all things bison, and it puts an emphasis on sustainability.
The restaurant is located in the Alloway Reception Centre (the main building). It overlooks Lake Devonian and has a good view of many bird feeders. If the weather is nice they have a patio which adds to the rural feel of the place. The opportunity to scan the lake for birds and the shore for mammals makes it an activity in and of itself. The place is cafeteria style so you will have to collect your own cutlery, ketchup, and whatever else you might want.
We ordered:
-          French onion soup
-          Grilled cheese and asparagus
-          French fries
-          Veggie Wrap
The food was made promptly, and it was tasty, but not exceptional. The French fries were crispy and they weren’t soaked in grease (my guess is they were baked). The soup was above average. The veggie wrap and the Grilled cheese and asparagus were tasty, but they were nothing special.  Maybe I am a traditionalist with grilled cheese, but I would have been happier if it were just melted cheese. My notes on the meal say that “the asparagus diluted the cheese flavor and ended up making the sandwich taste healthier but not better than the traditional grilled cheese.” You can argue with me on that one if you like.
Overall, it was a good experience and it is a pleasant addition to the FortWhyte centre. I’m not sure if it would be worth the trip in and of itself, but if you are planning to be at FortWhyte for breakfast or lunch it is certainly worth eating at.


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment