Monday 15 July 2013

Food Review: The Nook


The Nook
43 Sherbrook St

The Nook Diner on Urbanspoon

UPDATED: OCTOBER 2014

Call me crazy, call me old, call me whatever you like, but I feel like cheap diners are getting more expensive. Maybe my memory serves me wrong but I feel that the food at greasy spoons is now only a dollar or two cheaper than the food at much fancier places.  In any case, breakfast at The Nook at 6:30 am makes me feel nostalgic about eating at roadside diners somewhere in the middle of Saskatchewan (even though I’ve only done that a few times in my life). 

The nook has copies of the Sun sitting around to read over breakfast. I read one while I waited for my friend to arrive and have a pre-work breakfast with me. In the meantime I had a cup of earl grey tea and some time to sit and survey the place. It is a well-preserved example of the diners which can be found throughout the city. The seats are bench-style and the entire range of people who live in West Broadway and Wolseley might stop in at any time. I once walked by the patio and observed a man sitting opposite to a giant teddy bear. They both had a beer sitting in front of them.

Today it was mostly quiet, the patrons were retirees, 20 something’s, construction workers, and one of my high school teachers who I hadn’t seen in years. Winnipeg is a small city.

I ordered:

  • Spanish Omelet, which comes with toast and hash browns.
  • Veggie Burger


The omelet was well prepared, the toast was buttery, the hash browns were made with real potatoes. Overall it was a good place to eat, but not an exceptional one. The veggie burger is pretty good, a little bit dry, but with a bit of ketchup it was a 7/10 veggie burger.

What makes it a winner is the atmosphere, the feeling that there is a strong community built around it, and very friendly staff.  I would like to come back for lunch and dinner sometime and see what the rest of their menu is like. But based on breakfast alone I felt that it was worth the money I paid for it.


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment