Sunday 14 April 2013

Food Review: Diana's Gourmet Pizzaria

Diana’s Gourmet Pizzeria
Units Q&R – 730 St Anne’s Road


Diana's Gourmet Pizzeria on Urbanspoon 

Everyone knows that when pizza calls and I am ready to answer. Diana of Diana’s pizza is the winner of Canada’s Best Pizza of 2005-2009, and has been judging the competition since. In many ways that is setting someone up for disappointment: if you imagine your idea of the best pizza in Canada, you probably imagine something pretty dang good. Now, I will confess that I did not try a prize winning pizza because they all had meat on them. So my judgement is based solely on the one that we ordered. This is probably a critical point, because the vegetarian pizza is consistently the most boring choice on the menu.
With those things in mind, here is what we ordered:

1 Ginormous Gourmet Vegetarian Pizza – medium crust (made with beer in the dough)

The crust was wonderful, it was soft, pliable and held the toppings well, despite the fact that the each slice was massive. I probably would have cut the pizza into squares because managing the size of the wedges was a challenge. The pizza sauce was very sweet and the cheese was hiding underneath the toppings. It is in the running for the best vegetarian pizza I have tasted in Winnipeg. But is it the best Canada? That is a hard thing to say. Regardless, I was happy with the pizza. I was also happy that I didn't have to pay (thanks to the in-laws) because it is not cheap. As far as cost versus quality goes it probably comes out ahead, but just barely.
So, the final vote: is it worth bringing someone to eat there? Should friends flock to Diana’s? a hesitant maybe. I likely wouldn't go often because it is way too far from where I live. Since there is no obvious winner in the price versus taste continuum you’ll have to decide for yourself if the price is worth it. It’s good, don’t get me wrong, but is it the best?

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment