Tuesday 12 February 2013

Food Review: Sukothai

Sukothai (order in)
191 Osborne St

Sukhothai on Urbanspoon

UPDATED: August 30th, 2013

It had the opportunity to eat at Sukothai again this weekend. It was nice to add a few more dishes to this food review. It seems to me that they have expanded the restaurant since the last time I ate there, but I might be wrong. I don't remember the a large back room and new washrooms from last time I ate in. Regardless, the atmosphere of the place is very much business-lunch. 

The group of us ordered the following dishes to share:

Mango Salad - Spice level 1
Green Papaya Salad - Spice level 1
Pad Si Ew - Spice level 6
Pad Thai - Spice level 6
Green Curry Soup - Spice level 4,7
Mat Saman - Spice level 5
Pad Kaeng Puck - Spice level 5

It is interesting to notice that my spice tolerance has increased in the last 6 months. My favourite dish was the green curry soup (spicy 7), which was just right for me. My favourite dish from this list was the Mat Saman and the green curry soup. My overall rating of the place remains the same. I liked the food, it was well made and tasty, but it apart from the fried tofu, it doesn't really stand out among Winnipeg's Thai restaurants. 

OLDER POST: December 2nd, 2013

Family dinner with my in-laws was more hectic than it usually is because family was in from out of town and as a result Thai food was ordered. This was fine for me and perfect for my wife: she could eat the stuff everyday and not get sick of it. Sort of like me with pizza. People were not feeling like going out so we ordered in Sukothai via mobile maĆ®tre’d.

Here is what we ordered (minus the meat dishes):
Pad Thai – spice level 5
Tom Yum – spice level 4
Spring Rolls – spice level 4
Red Curry Soup – spice level 4
Pad Kiew Wan – spice level 4
Mee Krob – Spice level 4

The restaurant itself is a fairly classy place frequented by evening diners in Osborne Village and beyond. By this comment I don’t mean to say that it is ritzy, but I also would probably put on something nicer than a t-shirt.

I don’t have a great spice tolerance so I found the Tom Yum to be on the edge of too spicy, however, it was also my favourite dish. It was sweeter than the recipe my wife and I make at home and had more vegetables in it. I will probably petition to modify our recipe to be more like this one. Another thing that stood them apart in my mind was the way the fried tofu was fried. Somehow it was more flavourful than most, which is nice because bland tofu is a terrible crime.

The only thing I would suggest not ordering is the spring rolls, I found them disappointing. For me the apex of spring roll quality is JT Springrolls who can be found at the St.Norbert Farmers market. They are crisp and wonderfully flavourful and their plum sauce from a packet left Sukothai’s carefully crafted peanut sauce in the dust. But that is my opinion.

Their Pad Thai, which I believe is what makes or breaks a Thai restaurant, was fine. On the Pad Thai Index it is a solid 3/5.


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment